Translate

Friday 13 May 2011

The 1950s look - Recreating the Fashions of the fifties. Mike Brown.



I like both periods, 1940s and 1950s but if it's about this book definitively I'd buy "the 1950s look" only. 
The 1940s part I already described HERE.


There's so many chapters and details. Men, gloves, belts, cases, children, teenagers... too many to show in one post. That's why I recommend to buy this book!
...and skip 1940s.




The book starts with so famous 'New Look' by Dior from 1947.






Of course everyone knows two main directions: pencil and wide skirts.




In the book you can find description how to make your own swing skirt.






There are two kinds of coat which I really like with pencil skirts.






This 'bum - freezer' jacket looks like the one worn by Elisabeth Taylor in 'What's my line' show. And she looked fabulous !


The main point of this figure look was underwear. Specially designed undergarments gave you what's the most important. Tiny waist and perfect uplifted breasts closed in bullet bras. Without the whole engineering it wouldn't be possible.
'Remember the fashion is under the fashion'









The ultimate solution is obviously a corset. And it always works.




However shaping underwear is really hard to find. Charnos looks good and bras fit perfectly but there's not much of shaping. What Katie Did has great bullet bras! stockings! and some corsets! but shapewear... Charnos doesn't even pretend it's shaping but What Katie Did is trying without any significant effect. 6 straps belts are really good but waspies press you everywhere but not in the waist. 
I'll never shop there for shapewear any more.


Accidentally I've found Valisere and their, already sold out, Body Perfection:
- shorts with adjustable, elasticated waist


- and suspender/waspie which is constructed in such an amazing way! 
It presses only where it should so you will never look like a sausage with your clothes on which is quite possible in What Katie Did.


When you put two together... it's like a gentle corset in your waist.
...and about going to the toilette then...well, I admit it's not so easy but still possible. 
Now when I think about it... it's like a totally different skill which you need to eventually improve.
Perhaps somewhere it's possible to find it. If you know where!! Let me know!!
I have few belts and shorts in beige and black but I would get more.
I've never tried but the belt has detachable straps so I assume it's possible to work on your waist without stockings. But who would like to do that?


I have no idea how  was it possible that Marilyn Monroe looked like this!
 You can't see any corset marks. Nothing.




Knit wear created The Sweater Girl look achieved by using special bra - kind of bullet bra.



There's plenty of cardigans on ebay or etsy. Very good is vintage Laura Ashley.
I got mine from eBay or second hand shops. This cashmere one was really cheap. Maybe because using these crazy buttons is really annoying. And because it's yellow...colour of sickness.


Another one I found in Reykjavik. It's made from angora and wool and should be dry cleaned. So seems to be a trouble unless you find out how to clean it by yourself.


Nightdresses. Very fashionable Shortie Pyjamas.

I love long nightgowns and babydolls.
These few I have from Agent Provocateur I like a lot but my Love says:
...that I look like a curtain in this one.

...I'm like disabled because I can not really quickly tie this one up on the back.

...I look like I dressed up as a little girl.
However the photo doesn't make you think of this comparison.
Well...I don't like few of his clothes and although I never say it loud I think we're even.

About furs...


I know furs look so glamorous! But nowadays, when there are so many artificial fabrics imitating real fur why not to use them? Why is it good to still support animals killing? And why stinky smell together with saprophytes is considered elegant? My friend will finally receive this nice photo on her facebook wall...
when I'll be in my mood.

Anyway... there is a lot of advices!
Hats.

Stockings.

Fortunately we have stay ups.


Never wear ANY nylons for more than one day without washing them !!!
...this Vintage hygiene problem...

Bags.

Gloves.

Shoes.


Glasses.


Jewellery.



It's very easy to find brooch like this on eBay for few GBP only.



Plastic surgery started to advertise.


And the strangest 1950s thing I could imagine.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you.Excellent text for fur!GREETINGS TO Rajia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen her recently in MCDonald's eating a great quantity of burgers and fries. But I know that officially she's on diet so to avoid hers and mine embarrassment I pretended I don't see her...

    ReplyDelete